Friday, June 19, 2009

Organified

I'm sure I've said this before, but I'd love to start growing my own vegetables. My grandparents used to have a vegetable garden overflowing with squash, zucchini, tomatoes, new potatoes, lettuce etc. and there was nothing better than picking vegetables with my grandmamma during the day and having them for dinner that night. Even as a little girl, it just felt right and it tasted so good. Their refrigerator and freezer was always stocked full of fresh veggies, and they were able to give away so much food! We also had a plum tree growing in our backyard when I was little… it was huge and it produced so much fruit every summer! I can still remember the way it smelled in the backyard, sweet from the plums that fell and squished into the ground… mixed with the scent of honeysuckle. We'd be outside late, jumping on the trampoline, and it was still light out. When you got hungry you could just walk over to the plum tree and have a fresh plum. Our neighbors would come over and pick some to take home with them, too. Those memories bring a smile to my face!
I would just love to be that person that’s always giving away their tomatoes & squash… “we have too much, here, take some okra!” Plus, if you’re growing it, you know where it comes from and what’s in it. It would be great to be self sufficient in that area and be able to freeze vegetables for the winter as well. I’m pretty sure that’s what people did before Kroger and Sam’s came along… and I wish I could get back to that.

These pics are of the sunflowers (and a friendly grasshopper) I grew in my front yard this summer. I was so proud of them!

4 comments:

  1. Me too! We are experimenting with this at the farm this summer. We planted a small garden to see what we like, what did well, and how much we could "reap" from how many plants. I have to say - I LOVE it! You are right, there's nothing better than picking it and cooking it for supper that night. I even made homemade salsa with all of my tomatoes and jalapenos. My goal is to venture into gathering eggs from our chickens too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much fun! What did well? That's so great you made salsa from what you grew yourself.

    You'll have to give me your tips and advice...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We planted way too many tomatoes and couldn't keep up with picking them. Also, we grew some yummy watermelon, jalapenos, banana peppers, mississippi purple hull peas and bell peppers. We didn't have much luck with our squash, cucumbers, and canteloupes. We're going to try again next year though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome!! I'm sure I will be asking you alot of questions about it next year. Yum!
    Did you freeze some stuff too?

    ReplyDelete