Thursday, May 27, 2010

Il Pleut à Paris...

It's raining in Paris.  You might think that this would have little to no impact on my day, but it's totally interrupting coverage of the French Open.  Please feel free to click on the below link to set the tone for this blog entry... a little Aux Champs-Elysee for your listening pleasure (it's best to right click and open in a new window).  This song brings a smile to my face every time!  It's so silly, so French, and it so reminds me of my short little Mr. Magoo look-alike French professor from Ole Miss who used this song as a "warm up" for French class.  We had to stand and sing this song while he danced around the room with his eyes closed.  I wish I had a picture of this.

This time of the year I always think about my favorite summer memories, but I am also doing a lot of thinking about the future right now.  Accordingly, today I want to write about remembering and predicting.  

Remembering past summers... I have been so blessed to take some incredible trips and have wonderful experiences growing up.  My favorites include spending a month in Nice, France studying French, and being on Campus Crusade Summer Project in Fort Lauderdale.  I would give anything to go back to either of those places and relive just a few days!  Obviously I love France.  I love the culture, the language, the busyness of the cities, the long meals, drinking Illy in cafes, the art, walking everywhere, and monuments such as the Arc de Triomph and the Tour d' Eiffel.  The French eat fresh food and walk almost everywhere.  They don't sit in front of the TV at night, but instead they spend their evenings on culinary masterpieces and interesting conversation.  Now I know you can argue that yes, they go on strike a lot, or maybe they're a bit smelly (I don't agree) but I think they have found the key to enjoying life that a lot of Americans can't seem to find.  I have never felt healthier or more alive than when I was in France.  I woke up early in the mornings, ate an amazing breakfast, walked to class, had a jambon-beurre  (ham & butter) sandwich for lunch, then usually spent the rest of the afternoon at the beach, shopping, or in a museum followed by an award winning dinner & glass of wine until 9 or 10 pm.  What a life!  I'm in such a daze from thinking about France that I will have to talk about Fort Lauderdale in a different post...

Jambon et beurre sandwich on a baguette - there's nothing better

Now onto predicting... I have lots of reasons to think we are going to have a really strong little girl.  From the very beginning when I first found out I was expecting, I had this feeling that she was tough.  I never worried about waiting until the 1st trimester was over to tell people because I knew she was fine.  Then the morning sickness hit like a ton of bricks, to which everyone tells you that just means you have a healthy baby!  Now in month six, I am feeling the little bundle moving constantly and I anticipate she will have a strong disposition and character!  My other predictions are that she is going to be tall, love the beach, and play sports.  Call it a mother's intuition ;) 

Our beautiful little girl with her feet up by her head!

Inn case you're wondering what that happy French man is singing about, the chorus translation goes something like this:

                    On the Champs-Elysee, On the Champs-Elysee
                    In the sun or in the rain,
                    At noon or at midnight,
                    It's all that you would want
                    On the Champs-Elysee       

Now sing along!  Aux Champs-Elysee....     
                   
Well, the rain delay is over so I'm going back to watching tennis and daydreaming about Paris... au revoir for now! 


No comments:

Post a Comment